Alpha Delta Phi II

The house pictured here was the fraternity's second, a magnificent stone structure built in 1889, designed by Carrere and Hastings, a structure that "set a new standard of costliness in Amherst" (King, 150). It was torn down only 38 years later in the building craze that swept Amherst's rival fraternities in the 1910s and 1920s.


View these other Amherstiana items featuring the Alpha Delta Phi House:

The G. L. Nichols Collection: Alpha Delta Phi (middle right)

©1998-2002 Brian T. Meacham