Alumni House

The Amherst Alumni House is located behind Hamilton House, across from Porter House, and is accessed from the parking lot behind Cohan Dormitory. (Photos taken 12 October 2001)


    It was designed by James Kellum Smith '15, of the architectural firm of McKim, Mead, and White. According to information in the Amherst College Archives and Special Collections, the ground was broken for construction at 5:00 pm on June 12, 1953, and the building was dedicated June 10, 1955. It was funded with help from Frank Morrill Lay '93 and other alumni (Amherst A & SC, Buildings and Grounds Collection, box 1A, folder 22).

©1998-2002 Brian T. Meacham