The Moore Chemistry building was named in honor of William H. Moore, a member of the class
of 1871, ex. His widow and her two sons donated the money to pay for the building,
designed by James Kellum Smith '15 of McKim, Mead & White . Smith had just joined
firm, and Moore was his first building. The construction was begun in the fall of
1928, and the building was dedicated in October of 1929 (King, 181-183).