Morgan Hall

After a subscription campaign to raise money for a college library was begun in 1850, construction on Morgan Library started in 1852. Henry Sykes, who also designed the Octagon a number of years before, designed the building. Original construction was completed in 1853.

  After completion of
Converse in 1916, Morgan Library became Morgan Hall, home to a variety of departments including the Fine Arts Department, who called Morgan home until the construction of Mead in 1949. An addition was made in 1883, and James Kellum Smith designed a remodeling of the stack section of the library for use as a "clubroom for the Lord Jeffery Amherst Club" in 1935 (King, 313). The building is currently home to sociology and history department offices.

View these other Amherstiana items featuring the Alumni Gymnasium:

President's House and College Library Stereoview
From College Tower, Amherst, Looking W.N.W. Stereoview
From College Tower, Amherst, Looking N.W. Stereoview
View of Amherst Stereoview
Class of 1867 Stereoview
The G. L. Nichols Collection: Morgan and College Hall photo (lower right)

©1998-2002 Brian T. Meacham