Newport House / Phi Delta Theta II

The Phi Delts of Amherst sold their
property to the College in 1912 and build this new house, now known as Newport House, just west of College Hall. It was designed by Allen H. Cox, and finished in 1913 (King, 154).


According to information in the Amherst College Archives and Special Collections, the chapter was suspended in 1953 by the national fraternity and changed its name to Phi Delta Sigma. On December 21, 1970, the property was given to Amherst College, and in 1984, the house was named Newport House. It is now the French language house (A & SC, Buildings and Grounds Collection, box 6, folder 49).

©1998-2002 Brian T. Meacham