In May of 1943, the Amherst Board of Trustees voted to erect a war memorial at the end
of the war, and President King, working with landscape architect Arthur Shurcliff and
architect James Kellum Smith '15, decided on a War Memorial and
Memorial Field for
athletic events. After raising money from alumni, the memorial was dedicated in
June of 1946 (King, 274).