Williston forms the north end of College Row, the five buildings along the west side
of the Freshman Quad. Williston was built in 1858, designed by George P. Shoals of Easthampton, and
named for the philanthropist Samuel Williston. Williston has one of the more interesting histories of any building
on campus, featuring not one but two towers, then no tower at all, a complete re-styling,
and now, possible destruction in the near future. At varying times it has held the Alumni Office, libraries,
the Chemistry Department, the Mather Art Collection, and the meeting room of the Christian Society (King 312-313).
It is now home to the Departments of Philosophy and Black Studies.