The President's House

The first President's House was located on the approximate current location of Seelye, the old Psi Upsilon House. The cornerstone was laid the day South College was dedicated, and construction was finished by the next year, 1822. The house became over time more and more damp and unlivable, and was sold in 1834, the year work on the present President's House was begun.

  When the house was completed in 1835, the building plans of the College's founders was complete. South, North, Johnson Chapel, "Old" North, and the President's house were completed, and it would be twenty years before the next step in the progression, Appleton Cabinet, would be completed.

View these other Amherstiana items featuring the President's House:

From College Tower, Amherst, Looking N.W. Stereoview
From College Tower, Amherst, Looking W.N.W. Stereoview
From College Tower, Looking West Stereoview
View of Amherst Stereoview
The G. L. Nichols Collection: President's House (top)

©1998-2002 Brian T. Meacham