The Little Red Schoolhouse

The Little Red Schoolhouse was built in 1938 as a facility for the education of children of faculty and of the town of Amherst. James Turner of the class of 1880 was the primary donor for the building. The Springfield Republican of June 16, 1938 stated that the building "will stand about half way between the new infirmary and the college power house, on an axis drawn through Johnson Chapel and Stearns church." Classes for the children had previously been held in the old Pratt Gym after the completion of the Alumni Gym (Archives & Special Collections, Buildings and Grounds Collection, box 11, folder 45).

Top photograph taken October 12, 2001, and bottom photograph from "The Consecrated Eminence," page 249.

©1998-2002 Brian T. Meacham